Transaction Advisory Services
FMC provides integrated consulting services to buyers, sellers and lenders at all stages of the value chain.
⇨ Do you want to sell assets or companies from your portfolio?
⇨ Do you want to expand your portfolio and acquire new assets?
⇨ Are you looking for suitable investment objects in the field of renewable energies?
⇨ Do you need a technical and commercial evaluation of an innovative business model or asset?...
Get first-rate advice when purchasing and selling assets or developing new projects
FMC offers integrated consulting services to buyers, sellers and lenders in the context of company and asset acquisitions and sales as well as tenders for infrastructure facilities and services based on PPP as well as corporate PPA models. Interdisciplinary teams of engineers, financial and market experts cover all interfaces between the relevant topics and offer a broad range of services and local market know-how.
FMC assists you as lead advisor in all phases of developing and implementing your investment strategy. We structure and oversee national and transnational sell- and buy-side transaction processes. We assist you:
- in searching for and approaching investors or targets
- by preparing transaction-related documents and financial models for valuation purposes
- by continuing to manage the process during the due diligence phase
- by providing input on all necessary contracts and overseeing negotiations through to financial closing.
Due diligence services
FMC offers buyers, sellers and lenders comprehensive due diligence services from a single source. We evaluate companies and projects according to technical, financial, commercial, regulatory and environmental criteria. We create sophisticated financial models that incorporate the results of due diligence and enable a fair purchase price to be determined.
In the context of PPP models (e.g. management contracts, lease contracts and BOO tenders), services are provided by private players over a defined period. FMC draws up the transaction documents for these processes and assists the public contracting entities in selecting the most suitable private partner.
As part of decarbonization strategies, more and more private companies are looking for cost-effective ways to purchase “green power” directly. A corporate PPA opens up the opportunity for long-term renewable energy purchasing from a partner who invests in and operates the facility. FMC assists in this process, from the conceptual design of the project, through the transaction process, to the conclusion of the contract by providing comprehensive commercial/financial and technical consulting services.
References for typical projects
- Technical vendor DD of EWE, a major German energy utility
Technical vendor DD of EWE, a major German energy utility
EWE, a major German energy utility company and its municipal shareholders, are considering selling minority shares. To assist with the technical side of the sale process and to analyze the assets from a technical perspective, FMC was instructed to provide a vendor DD (VDD) report and an asset factbook. EWE has a diverse energy portfolio comprising wind farms, PV plants, biogas plants, hydropower plants, networks for power, gas, water and district heating, thermal power plants and gas storage.
- Preparation of vendor DD report and an asset factbook
- Technical input to the information memorandum
- Assessment of capital and maintenance costs (CAPEX and OPEX)
- Performing site visits
- Supporting capacity in the Q&A process
- Participating in expert sessions
- Continuous support of the client in all technical matters throughout the transaction process
- Buy-side Technical and Commercial DD on the German-based PV project developer, EPC and O&M provider Belectric
Buy-side Technical and Commercial DD on the German-based PV project developer, EPC and O&M provider Belectric
For the successful acquisition of Belectric by the CEZ Group, FMC provided technical and commercial DD services. Belectric is a mid-sized German PV project developer, EPC and O&M contractor with current activities in Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, UK, France, Denmark and Israel. It has a track record of approx. 4 GW installed capacity.
- Market assessment of the main countries in focus of the target review of company organization and staff capabilities
- Review of key processes: project development, EPC and O&M
- Pipeline review: status of development, probability of realization, profitability
- Review of business plan
- Technical assessment of selected projects: projects under development and projects under construction
ClientElevion (CEZ Group)
- Buy-side technical DD on a Dutch waste-to-energy plant and a biomass plant
Buy-side technical DD on a Dutch waste-to-energy plant and a biomass plant
FMC was appointed by the client to perform buy-side technical DD services for a transaction of a portfolio comprising two waste incineration plants, one biomass plant and a separation installation unit. FMC visited the site and prepared a red flag report and technical DD report. During the transaction, FMC was also involved in the management presentation and performed expert sessions together with the client and the seller. In addition, FMC provided technical expertise and support to set up the buyer’s financial model.
- Technical buy-side DD services
- Site visits
- Input to financial model
- Q&A process
- Participation in expert sessions
- Participation in management presentation
- Preparation of red flag report
- Preparation of technical DD report
- Technical vendor DD on a Turkish power distribution network operator
Technical vendor DD on a Turkish power distribution network operator
FMC has been appointed for technical support during the sales process of a Turkish electricity distribution company. This covers the vendor DD phase where the main delivery is a technical investigation of the technical energy assets through a technical vendor DD (TVDD) and the bidding phase where FMC is conducting expert sessions and providing the potential investors with answers to the TVDD report.
- Technical vendor DD services
- Preparation of a technical vendor DD report
- Site visits
- Technical input to the vendor model
- Support in preparing the information memorandum
- Q&A process
- Expert sessions
- Buy-side commercial DD on a German large-scale battery storage systems manufacturer
Buy-side commercial DD on a German large-scale battery storage systems manufacturer
For a European-based, publicly listed independent power producer, FMC was appointed to conduct a commercial DD on a German-based company which develops, builds and sells large-scale battery energy storage systems (BESS). The BESS are primarily used for the provision of ancillary services for grid operators and peak shaving/load shift for industrial or commercial end clients.
- Market assessment with focus on market trends, regulatory framework and competitive analysis for the particular use cases (system services, grid charges optimization, arbitrage trading, peak shaving, solar-hybrid power plants etc.)
- Review and valuation of business model, project pipeline and probability of realization, profitability, sales channels, track record and know-how
- Preparation of complete business plan and scenario analysis for target evaluation
- Buy-side commercial Due Diligence on virtual power plant operator active across Europe
Buy-side commercial Due Diligence on virtual power plant operator active across Europe
For a large multinational industrial corporation group, FMC was appointed to conduct a commercial DD on an operator of Virtual Power Plants (VPP). The VPP works as an aggregator to remotely combine a number of independent energy sources from disparate locations into a single network. The target is active Europe-wide: Germany, UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic and Poland.
- Review and evaluation of business model – market participation and value chain, profitability, business segments, contracted portfolio
- Market assessment and review of regulatory framework and tendering procedures
- Competitive analysis
- Upside potentials